Friday, November 1, 2013

The Red Sox won the World Series, and as you can imagine, I'm not pleased

So, you may ask, how does a lifelong Yankees fan who lives 15 miles from Boston handle the Red Sox winning the World Series?

Not all that well.

I didn't watch one single second of the World Series live, including pregame and postgame shows. If something happened that I wanted to see, I'd find it online the next day, but I cannot watch the Red Sox in the World Series. I just can't.

But there's still the Twitter machine, and I must confess, when I knew what was going to happen in Game 6 (aka ... as soon as the Red Sox took the lead), I pretty much spent the whole night whining and railing about whatever I could. (In case you're wondering, I will never let go of the Ortiz thing until the media start treating him like everyone else linked to performance-enhancing drugs, which means I'll hold onto it until I die.)





Beyond ranting and raving, I settled into a strategy of hunkering down and waiting for it all to be over. I didn't watch the news and wouldn't have read any of the next day's Boston Globe had my wife not alerted me to a couple non-sports things I'd want to look at.

That covered me at home, but what about work? I had already noted some disturbing tendencies.

So of course, one of the guys who works for me walked in Thursday, gave a high-five to a co-worker and said, "We're all part of Red Sox Nation, so I can say we won." I asked him if I could be thrown in prison for being a political dissident ... and he didn't say no.

This worries me.

My plan was basically to let people do what they were going to do, but if they left me out of it, I'd be content to listen to my headphones all day. Strangely, however, there wasn't a lot of talk about it. People chatted with each other when they first got there, and then went to work.

It was kind of strange, actually.

After I left yesterday, it was easy to resume Operation Ignore, but as the euphoria started to lessen just a tiny bit, I felt safe flipping through parts of the newspaper and very tentatively putting on the news to see what silliness they were up to. (Seriously, Boston TV news has gone straight down the crapper the past few years.)

And the parade is tomorrow, so I'm thinking that the worst should soon be over.

But just in case, this match between Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat can cover me for almost an hour.





No comments:

Post a Comment