Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My problem with what Reggie said

So Reggie Jackson said a few things lately that have gotten people's attention -- that there are a bunch of Baseball Hall of Fame members who don't belong there, that "no Hall of Famer will attend" the induction ceremony if anyone linked to performance-enhancing drugs is elected.

And yeah, he had some stuff to say about Alex Rodriguez.

"Al's a very good friend," Jackson says. "But I think there are real questions about his numbers. As much as I like him, what he admitted about his usage does cloud some of his records."
The Yankees are somewhat displeased about Reggie's comments about A-Rod, while Keith Olbermann is somewhat displeased about the way the Yankees have handled the situation.

As for me, Reggie was my first favorite player from when I was a child, and since his birthday is a couple weeks before mine, seeing the annual reminder that he's getting older makes me feel a little bit older, too. I don't particularly agree with his comments, especially that he seems to have the same tunnel vision about cheating as so many people have, which is especially funny coming from Reggie, given his history with Gaylord Perry. (I tried to find the video with the water bucket, but I couldn't.)

But he's entitled to have his opinion, and I'm entitled to disagree. What really bugged me, however, is what he said about Andy Pettitte.

"The question is going to be a guy like Andy Pettitte, who admitted that he got involved for a while, but who is so universally respected in the game. I think he'll get in, but there will be a lot of [members] who won't go."

Would Reggie? Jackson takes a deep breath.

"He's an awfully good friend," he says. "I've known Andy since he was 20. I'll leave it there."
Andy Pettitte used performance-enhancing drugs. He may not have done enough to look like a cartoon character who could throw a ball 200 mph, but he did them.



But people like Andy Pettitte (including me, by the way), so Reggie backpedaled just a bit. It's easier to dump on Alex Rodriguez (or Barry Bonds, who is also mentioned in the article); after all, no one likes him.

In other words, Reggie is like so many other people when it comes to PEDs -- get all high and mighty when it comes to someone unpopular, because that's safe, but it's a different story when it comes to someone who's well-liked.


No comments:

Post a Comment