Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dreaming of a Jeter comeback

I had an awesome dream last night. You want to hear about it?

Of course you do.

Cue the harps.

I'm flipping through the Twitter machine, checking a little news, a little sports, the big U.S. Senate election here in Massachusetts yesterday.

And then I saw it, with a picture and everything, from Derek Jeter himself:
"Visit from Dr. Kelly over the weekend, who gave me the best news -- the green light to play games again!"
Wow! If that's true, it's awesome. Jayson Nix has done a nice job at shortstop in Jeter's absence, but still, this is Derek Jeter ... star, captain, talisman. (Why, yes, I do let English soccer terms slip into my dreams. Why do you ask?)

So I keep reading, and there's Yankees GM Brian Cashman confirming the news. Jeter would probably start his rehab stint in Tampa, first as designated hitter, then moving to shortstop. If all went well, he'd move up to Trenton for a few games, and then Scranton. Barring any setbacks, he might be back in the Yankees' lineup in a couple weeks, maybe even for the Twins series the weekend before the All-Star Break.

During the Yankees TV broadcast, Michael Kay and the gang are naturally stoked, and John Sterling is absolutely out of his tree on the radio. I'm pretty sure he even missed a catchphrase or two.

After the game, Jeter is all anyone wants to talk to Joe Girardi about, even though the Yankees won on a walkoff homer by Ichiro.


My fellow Yankees fans are also going nuts, knowing that the main man could be back before too much longer.

"Maybe this is the start," I think. "Jeter comes back, then A-Rod, then Granderson, then maybe Teixeira (spoiler alert: no). They've been pitching well, and if that keeps up ... ."

Katy Perry's "Wide Awake" comes on. No, I haven't asked Mrs. Last Honest if she chose it as her alarm for that reason.

Wow, that was quite a dream. It was like the dreams I still have a few times a year where I'm convinced I have a term paper due the next day, and I have to wake up to remember I haven't had any term papers due since 1996.

That tweet from Jeter seemed so ... real.

No comments:

Post a Comment