Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bidding Posada a sort-of-fond farewell

I've never been a huge Jorge Posada fan.

Sure, he could hit, but I've always thought he was a terrible catcher and should have been a first baseman or designated hitter about five years ago. (As a side note, why do the Yankees seem so hesitant about letting Jesus Montero catch? Unless he is physically incapable of catching baseballs, it would be hard for him to be worse than Posada, who caught for 15 years.)

And he pulled that little stunt back in May, pulling himself out of the lineup against the Red Sox in a hissy fit over being moved to the ninth spot in the lineup. If the Yankees had released him right then and there, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

That being said, if the reports of his impending retirement are true, I'm glad that's how it ended. As infuriating as I sometimes found him, it would have been too weird seeing him play for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment