Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Liverpool is coming ... and I probably won't be going

Thanks to Mrs. Last Honest Sport, I already knew Liverpool was playing a preseason game at Yankee Stadium this summer, and the news came today that the Reds would be at Fenway Park as well.

Count me in, right? After all, it's ... Yankee Stadium ... and Fenway is just 15 miles from where I live. But while I reserve the right to change my mind, based on my experience at Fenway two years ago, I doubt I'll be going.

When Liverpool came to Fenway in 2012, it was not long after Euro 2012 and right before the Olympics, which meant no Steven Gerrard, no Luis Suarez and no most of the Liverpool regulars. Raheem Sterling played, although at the time he was more of a prospect and less the budding star he is now, as did Jonjo Shelvey, Joe Cole and Charlie Adam. Not exactly a ton of star power there.

I'm assuming that because of the World Cup this year, that probably means at a minimum no Gerrard, no Suarez and no Daniel Sturridge, and perhaps no Glen Johnson, Jordan Henderson or Sterling. In other words, no most of the people I'd want to see.

Plus, I'm hoping to see Liverpool for real someday.



They did do a good job trying to replicate the Anfield experience at Fenway.


What you don't see is the pole I was sitting behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment