Saturday, March 1, 2014

On the bike, and away from the back

He walked by from the back of the gym as I was preparing to do my leg curls. He was wearing a New England Patriots T-shirt, shorts and a weight belt, and had muscles that made it obvious he went to the gym a lot more than I do. His face looked enough like someone who used to work for me that I had to take a closer look to make sure it wasn't him, that he hadn't put on about 40 pounds of muscle in the military.

He sat down at the other end of the weight machines, and after I had moved on to the leg press, I saw him working on the arm curl machine, his earbuds in, his face one of concentration.

As for me, I finished my leg presses, then went out and used the ab and back machines before telling my wife, who was on the treadmill, that I was finished. Another hour gone, I put on my sweatshirt and sweatpants before going home.

It was an unusual workout, not because I rode the bike particularly well or lifted especially heavy weights, because of something else that I don't normally do.

I was sweating.
* * * * *

My wife and I decided to join a gym late last year. My motivation wasn't to become a muscleman, but instead to maybe lose a little weight (although I also have to work on the eating part of that equation) and not be so horribly out of shape. Seriously, I was sometimes finding myself winded carrying laundry up the stairs, and my energy level was practically non-existent.

We checked out a local health club that offered workout equipment, tennis, a pool and classes, but as nice as it was, it was a little pricey for us. If we were going to play tennis or swim more, maybe it would have worked out, but we probably weren't going to.

After some Internet research, we wound up at the local Boston Sports Clubs. It was convenient, being close to both our house and the train station where I usually pick up my wife after work, and the prices were reasonable. My wife got a membership that allows her to take yoga classes, and I got the basic membership.

We decided to go Tuesdays and Fridays after work and Sunday mornings, and for the most part, we've stuck to that schedule, although I missed a couple days because I was sick. It helps having someone to go with, to make sure I go on the days I'm not particularly motivated.

We're eligible for an hour of free personal training, but we haven't used it yet. Instead, we have our own routines. My wife walks on the treadmill, sometimes lifting weights at the end, while after a couple days of experimenting, I settled on riding a bike for 45 minutes, with weights the last 15. I do arm and leg exercises alternating days, with ab and back work every time.

I'm probably missing a lot with that approach -- every time I walk past the punching bag, especially when I've had a bad day, I think about doing my Sergio Martinez impression -- but this seems to work for me.

I've found that riding the bike -- I prefer a seater -- actually helps me relax. Once I get my legs loose, I get into a nice rhythm with the pedals, and for one of the few times during my day, I'm not bouncing from thing to thing. Pretty much all I can do is read my Kindle, look up at the TV once in a while and pedal. That's it. It's actually a nice diversion.

At first my goal was a 6-minute mile, then a 5-minute mile, which lets me ride nine miles in 45 minutes. Lately, however, I've been able to go at a pace that lets me ride 10 miles in 45 minutes. I'm only on level nine out of 20 or 21, which means no hills, but I'm doing better.

* * * * *

The bikes and machines I use are at the front of the gym, while the locker rooms are in the back, where the free weights are. With the free weights come the people who lift free weights, who, like the guy in the Patriots shirt, come across to me as very serious. They seem to all know each other, as they talk amongst themselves when they talk at all.

I try to avoid these people at all costs. In my mind, they look at me and they see some out-of-shape guy who actually thinks riding a bike while reading a book and a few minutes of weights will get anything accomplished.

Of course, they may be perfectly pleasant people, even willing to provide a few tips if I asked, but I'm not going to take that chance. I keep a quick pace, and try not to make eye contact.

* * * * *

One bit of trepidation I had before I joined the club was what I call my "broken radiator," a problem I've had since my youth. Since I don't sweat that much, and therefore don't cool off from sweating, I have a tendency to overheat during physical activity.

Usually, the worst I get is a headache, but once it was so bad that I was seeing spots while driving home from playing volleyball, and by the time I got home and put a cold washcloth on my head, I literally felt the heat radiating off my ears.

So I was wondering what would happen if I worked out, and I make sure my water bottle is full every time. I drink every 15 minutes for about a minute at a time while I'm riding, plus a little more when I'm done, and by the time I'm finished, I've pretty much drained the bottle.

And I've started sweating. First it was a little on my arms, but I just thought that was from having my arms folded on the arms of the bike. Then there was a little on my back, but yesterday, it was down my back and my front. It wasn't pouring off me, but it was there, enough that I actually have to wipe off machines when I'm done with them.

And when I got off the bike yesterday, my legs actually felt tired, and my knees were a little sore last night. But in its own way, it felt good.

Maybe I'm getting somewhere with this.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment